Passion Play Oberammergau – 2020
Oberammergau Passion Play is a play of life and death.
Performed since 1634 as a tradition by the inhabitants of the village of Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany.
Passion Play takes place once every 10 years.
The next performance will take place in May 2020 in the small Bavarian Village of Oberammergau.
The community of Oberammergau will perform the play for the 42nd time.
The tradition has been maintained and experienced almost without interruption for over 380 years.
Oberammergau Passion Play is regarded as the most important passion play in the world.
The village at the edge of the Bavarian Alps expects approximately 500,000 visitors for the passion play, over half of which will be international guests.
In the middle of the Thirty Years War, after many months of suffering and death from the plague.
The people of Oberammergau swore an oath that they would perform the “Play of the Suffering, Death and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ” every ten years.
They fulfilled their pledge for the first time at Pentecost in 1634.
Performed for the first time on a stage they put up in the cemetery above the fresh graves of the plague victims.
- All actors come from the village, since a special play law is in effect.
- All participants must have been born in Oberammergau or have lived there for at least 20 years.
This includes actors through to members of the choir, orchestra members, firemen and ushers, .
The planning has already started for the 42nd Passion Play. More than 500,000 visitors are expected, over half of which will be international guests.
- 2015 – The Oberammergau Council appointed the production team of the 2020 Passion Play and the preparations for the 2020 performance have begun.
- 2017 – The exact schedule will be decided. 2019 – By Ash Wednesday 2019, all participants in the play let their hair grow – and men also their beards – in accordance with a long tradition, the ‘Beard and Hair Edict’.
- 2019 – In spring, the names of the actors will be announced. Altogether, more than 2,000 Oberammergau villagers will participate in the 2020 Passion Play.
- 2019 – In Autumn, rehearsals for the 42nd Passion Play will start.
- 2020 – The first performance of the 2020 Passion Play (May).
- 2020 – The last performance of the 2020 Passion Play (October).
We have great package tours on sale now, but you must get in early to secure tickets and your place on one of these great tours.
Together with our partners Collette Tours and Insight Vacations take the opportunity to see this amazing production.
Experience the atmosphere of the performances and a take in the beauty of the village of Oberammergau.
We expect high demand for tickets and space on tours and would highly recommend you register your interest.
Once registered we can forward upcoming information.
Register your interest before tours and tickets sell out.0